Sunday, January 9, 2011

Advice for all seasons - Be safe



Be safe

One of the authors I follow on AuthorsDen appends that caring line in her thank you messages for those reviewing her many blogs, poems, and articles. It's great advice with universal and infinite applications especially where - literally - the rubber meets the road.

For those in northern climes, we are plowing into the middle of winter when driving can be more of a challenge. One of the physics articles I wrote back in 2009 was on that subject: Winter Driving, It's all about the friction.

I thought many would think "winter driving" was a dull subject, especially since it dealt with the different types of friction - static, kinetic - and how that plays out when slamming on the brakes, especially during inclement weather. Are your eyes rolling yet?

This article was surprisingly one of my most well read and googled articles.  Its salient point was that rolling wheels grab the slippery road better than locked wheels.

Why? You have to read the article. Hint. Hint. : )

Another good piece of advice for all seasons - Always wear your seat beat.

Seat beats can mitigate the consequences of Newton's First Law of Motion - Every object moves in a straight line unless acted upon by an outside force. And during a crash that object may be your body moving in a straight line until it is acted upon by an outside force - such as the force of an oncoming windshield, steering wheel, dashboard, car engine ....

I find the following video clip - Embrace Life - always wear your seat belt - so effectively illustrates this:




Let's hear it for the Brits! This video is compliments of the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership (SSRP): www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk

Buckling up is good advice in all seasons in all places - even in England where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

Embrace Life

and

Be safe!

Question: Any great tips to share to be safe on the road, especially this winter?


Picture from everystockphotoTahoe

3 comments:

  1. Great advice. My grandbaby, when she pretends to drive the car, always fastens her seatbelt. Why? Because she see's Mommy and Daddy do it and she figures it's just part of driving. I love that it's such a habbit that the two-year-old does it too.

    How many lives would be saved if we all did this? I know my seatbelt has saved me at least two times. Twice I totaled cars, twice I walked away unharmed because of the grace of God and a seatbelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just at the Doctors today and one of the questions was, "Do you wear your seatbelt?" I totally cracked up and told her about your post.

    Why did the Doc ask this question? Because it's so important. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jan for stopping by and for your encouragement. It's simple advice, but I found the video very moving.
    Embrace life and be safe!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete